Home of all things kawaii I'll be doing reviews on things I buy both online and offline, based around the fashion styles Lolita, Fairykei,Pastel Goth & more.

Wednesday 5 September 2012

My views on Pastel Goth.

What is Pastel Goth?

Pastel goth is a style which combines light pastels such as pink and lilac and contrasts them with black. The style is known to sport having pastel hair although you don't necessarily have to. Another signature part of this look is black lipstick, and often inverted crosses. Although none of these things have to be used within the style. The name is very controversial and has caused many debates and arguments. Is the style goth? I wouldn't really say so. In all honesty the style is a lot like Harajuku street style. Then again it does need a name, and the name "pastel goth" is relevant due to the fact it does have an at least semi gothic appearance. While pastel goth is just a fashion and does not follow the cultural traits of goth, it should not be condemned for being seen as a sub culture. As a follower of the style I don't believe, no matter what someone thinks about a fashion style, that it is cause for hate. I know that on tumblr a lot of pastel goths get hate sent to them for following the style, as far as people being told to kill themselves. This is inappropriate. There is also the fact that the pastel goth tag is always filled with negative posts which cause people to abandon the style and put down those who like it. If someone likes something, they should be allowed to do so happily. I am specifically disappointed in the people who are alternative that choose to hate,while you are entitled to your opinion if you've experienced what it's like to be alienated you really should not do the same to others. Moving on from that, it is debatable to whether the style is just a trend. Obviously a lot of those who latched on to the trend are doing it for followers, for the sake of it or just to gain attention by attempting to be "edgy." These are all corrupt reasons to try a style to be honest, of course if you like it you should do it, but if you do something for attention then that isn't really fair to those who genuinely like it. It gives the style a bad name. Another thing with this is that pastel goth is an underdeveloped style, it isn't really defined yet. You could search pastel goth and find what I like to call a "Spooky kei" outfit, which is quite bold look often including things like skeleton prints, kreepsville accessories and also wigs. Pastelbat is a good example of this. For me, that's what I see pastel goth as at heart. It makes a lot more sense to me to have it be a spookier style and thats how I like to wear it. On the other hand, there is the more sophisticated pastel goth which is often dyed pastel hair combined with black clothing  (often studded) and sometimes with accessories. Honestly, I don't like that as much, because it just looks a little bit awkward and harder to pull off. As for me as I said I remain to think that pastel goth should keep it's spooky edge rather than be hipsters with dyed pastel hair, but thats just my stance on it. That's why it's so hard to define this style to be honest, that's also why the future of the style seems sparse. I know that I will continue to wear it until I feel it doesn't suite me anymore, I've been searching for a while to find a style I feel comfortable in and this is really it. Although I do wear more than one style! I just find this one to be the best. As I said though it really is an undefined style. What people really just need to understand is, some people like this style and should be allowed to be happy with it. If you don't like it and think it's a fad, or if you think it's giving goth a bad name then just forget about it. Be happy with the thought that if it's a fad it will fade away in the future, and be secure with your own style.

No comments:

Post a Comment